Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Bear and the Two Travellers

Two men were travelling together
When they suddenly met a bear
One climbed quickly up a tree
Leaving the other standing there

The other seeing he may be attacked
Quickly fell down to the floor
The bear came up, smelling and felt him
Appearing dead, he breathed no more

The bear soon left him because they say
He will not touch whatever's dead
The other descended from the tree
And asked, "In your ear, what bear said?"

He replied, "He gave me this advice"
"To never travel with a friend"
"Who deserts you at the approach of danger"
"Leaving you alone to fend"

'Misfortune tests the sincerity of friends'

I don't think I can say this has happened to me. Can't think of a time any of my friends have deserted me. I can say however that it has happened to me at work. When I needed someone, they're nowhere to be seen. This was rare though and it only happened with certain types of people. But even then, the first time it happens, you automatically think poorly of them. However, until it does happen, you're not going to know how they react in the face in the danger. I just hope nothing bad happens to me.

Copyright ©Zenmoda 2010, Aesop In Verse - Classic Aesop's Fables Retold

1 comment: